Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cookies and Flowers

Begrudgingly I tried to kick my butt into gear at the gym. Getting back into the swing of things, after a month long sabbatical from health {shh, dont judge} has proved a bit challenging. After a mere 5 minutes of the stair stepper of death, I found myself hating the cookies I'd eaten the night before...and the night before that...and the night before that. But amidst that hatred of the sugary delights, my heart felt warm.

You see, my grandmother is in town for two weeks. She lives in Maryland and I really dont get to see her that often. Once a year...sometimes two years about sums up how often I get to enjoy her company. She's a mirror image of my mother...just shrunken down a few inches and add a few more laugh lines. The two of them are priceless together...they way that my father and I have been described on numerous occasions: two peas in a pod. While my grandmother has been here, we've done things that I've really missed. Christmas cookies. I can remember standing on a wooden chair in her kitchen, pressing my little hand down against a plastic cookie cutter, sneaking pieces of cookie dough when she wasnt looking. And flowers. My grandma always had a near enchanting hummingbird filled garden. I remember wondering through her house trying to find her only to look out the kitchen window and see her bent over tending to her garden.

Christmas cookies and flowers...I didnt plan on doing either of these things with her. And it wasnt until I was hating my waistline at the gym that I realized I didnt regret those cookies. Sure, I would have to work that much harder to get my body back into the shape I would like, but I got to enjoy cookies resembling christmas trees, gingerbread men, reindeer, candy canes, and santa clauses that looked a whole lot more like ducks. And today, today we spent lunch together, and then hounded the garden centers nearby to refresh my dying "garden".

Tomorrow at the gym, I'll hate myself all over again, but that warm contented glow in my heart will remind me that it was worth it. I got to relive parts of my childhood with my grandmother and create more cherished memories to tide us over until we see each other again.

Dwell in Possibility...
Cassie

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment