Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lost Dog

"Stop stop stop stop stop!" I yelled at him as we slowed to the intersection. "Back up, now! Let me out!" I jumped from the not so stopped car, grabbing my phone as I went. "Come here little puppy!" yelled with the most sticky sweet voice I could muster. After close to 30 minutes of chasing the dog out of the street and another 30 minutes or so of being on the phone with various law enforcement and animal control, even PAWS, it pretty much became clear that since the dog wasnt hurt, they werent gonna come help us out. We were on our own at 1030pm with a dirty old white fluff muffin, tired from our wedding and really not sure what to do.

So, this is MissHap, or well, that's what we're calling her cause we have no idea what her name is. We found her on Redwood at the four way stop sign on 23rd street {or is it 21st street?}. We'll have her till Monday at which time I'll be taking her to wherever animal control tells me to. But if anyone knows who she is or where she belongs, please email me and I'll get you my phone number.


Photobucket

Now, usually, today being a Sunday after a wedding, I would try to post a sneak peak or a blog post from the previous wedding we had this weekend. But life, being as it is, is really random and not quite what you expect. At some point last night between really late and later, Andrew asked me why I did it? Why did I run after this dog? I told him a story...you see, when I was in my early teen years, my family had a dog. I'd picked her at the shelter and she was this beautiful little Chow/Shepherd/Something mix. One day when we all went on vacation, we left this dog with a friend and she ran away {the silly little thing was very skiddish and would bolt at the drop of a hat} We never found her. We put up signs, we went to shelters, we even tried a tracking device {totally ghetto but it sorta worked....sorta} A few years ago my mom thought she saw her being walked around a neighborhood, but she couldnt be sure and she didnt want to ruin some family's bond with their dog if it was her. "If someone had seen Cleo running down the street, I would have wanted them to stop and pick her up".

**EDIT** We found the owners! Well, my dad found the owners. My dad's a sucker for these situations just like me because losing our dog Cleo was definitely the hardest on him as he spent most of his free time for a good month looking for her. He called me this morning while I was on the phone with various shelters trying to figure out where I could put her {shockingly, there arent that many no kill shelters in Niceville willing to take in a lost dog}. "I found the owners" I heard him say over the screaming and near hysteria on the other end of the line. "Hurry up and get here". As we watched this calm, mellow little dog get more and more excited the closer we got to her home and her little whimpering whining began, I started to feel like an emotional sucker. I watched a woman barely holding herself together with her two children run towards this fuzzy little mongrel screaming Sandy and found myself getting choked up. So, Sandy is home and I still feel like crying just a little. My dad and I smiled at eachother all teary eyed...Andrew didnt quite get it. But we've been in that situation before and never got that happy furry reunion. Being able to whitness that for someone else...yup, there goes the tears.

Dwell in Possibility...
Cassie

4 comments:

  1. Awww!!!! This breaks my heart, totally looks like my Renegade... I hope this little puppy finds a home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I just couldnt leave it there running around in the road at night. It's in our garage right now and we're taking it to the shelter tomorrow. Hopefully they'll take it cause I just cant bring myself to take it to PAWS - they'll put it down after a few days since she's so old. She super sweet though and really very very mild tempered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww...this is very sweet! I'm so glad your dad found her owner! What a sweet reunion! Brought tears to my eyes! I do understand...I'm such a sucker for strays and animals no one else wants...isn't a good feeling when you're able to reunite them or find them a good home?! Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember looking for Cloe. So sorry you never found her. We now chip all our animals. The dog you found looked a lot like a West Highland Terrier in NEED of a haircut. Mine looked like that one time when Jim was out of work and we could not afford to have her groomed. My girls said she had ponytails off of her ears.
    So VERY proud of you Cassie. I rescued 2 golden retrievers once in my little Saturn and when I opened the door to see if they had tags they both jumped in the front seat so it was a tight ride to the vet that gave then their rabies shot since the owners did not answer their phone.

    ReplyDelete