Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Hazards of Raw Cookie Dough

We sat on the couch in the formal living room. I always thought it was a little strange that my grandparents had a formal living room and a living room. I guess it was just for when you were feeling extra formal? I dont know, I always thought it was a waste of living room furniture. But there we sat, on that stiff cream sofa, going over the plan. I told him to go through the dining room and I'd go through the living room for regular people. He giggled. Yes folks, my brother giggled like a little girl. Apparently my plan amused him. "Remember, dont get caught".

I totally knew he would get caught. In fact, I was planning on it. You see, Ryan got in trouble...a lot. Pretty much any crash you heard in our home was followed by his name. So, when in need of a decoy, he was the perfect one. I poked my head around the corner peaking into the kitchen. Her apron was smudged with flour and egg residue and she hummed to herself just a little...my grandma's kitchen and the sound of the mixer generally meant one of two things. Cookies or a pie. Today, today was cookies...chocolate chip if the yellow bag labeled Nestle were any indication. As grandma turned away from the mixer to wash her hands, I watched as Ryan's little grubby palms reached for the spoon. I ducked back behind the corner and waited...a crash...my grandma yelling Ryan! And there it was. I ran into the kitchen completely bypassing the spoon all together. Only amateur cookie dough eaters go for the spoon. I dug both hands deep into the bowl, the sugary goodness squishing between my fingers. Success! And I ran for it.

Ryan sat back on the couch, the lingering effects of a lecture on the hazards of eating raw cookie dough on his face. I skipped in smugly, flaunting my genius. He looked up at me, his hands empty while mine were sticky and full. As I flopped onto the couch beside him, I handed him one of the mounds of cookie dough from my hand. And there we sat quietly...ignoring the hazards of eating raw cookie dough.

Photobucket

Dwell in Possibility...
Cassie

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is awesome. You perfectly painted the picture of sibling mischieviousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great storyteller!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete