Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Days Like This

The garage door slowly opened as I rambled on into the phone talking with Andrew. I was esctatic about a meeting with a bride and I called to tell him all about it. As I explained her colors and her details and ideas I had for their engagement session, the garage cleared the front of my car. For a split second I was confused and about to feel afraid there's a strange car in the garage!! I thought to myself, but a second later I realized that it was Andrew's car. Wait a minute, Andrew's car? Why is he home at 2pm on a Monday? So I asked him..."why are you home?" Turns out that there was a problem at work and they sent everyone home early with plans to figure it out tomorrow. I could hear the smirk on his face through the phone.

Hearing a smirk on Andrew's face is never a good thing. Okay, so it's totally a good thing but it makes me nervous every time. Nervous as in how you feel on your first date or on your prom night right before you come out of your room to see your parents and your date standing there...nervous as in right before you see your groom for the first time. It's that giddy nervousness, the good kind of nervous. So, before I got out of the car, I took a quick look in the mirror, suddenly extremely glad I had done some amazing eye make up that day and wearing my new $6.00 dress {yeah baby, you heard me, $6.00 dress!}

Photobucket

There were sunflowers on the mantle. And my husband standing there grinning from ear to ear. "I thought about just going to the gym but I decided to come home and surprise you instead." Insert my melting heart right about there.

"We're going to get sushi" he stated {yes, we know we have an addiction}. My first reaction, I must admit, wasnt the swooning reaction he might have hoped for. But luckily, I kept my thoughts to myself. My first reaction was the list of things I still had left to do today. You see, he threw off my groove! I still had two, maybe three hours before he was to be home and I had editing and an album to design, emails to return and not to mention the hotel room I had to book and the contracts I needed to mail. Didnt he realize that I couldnt just drop everything? I had clients to think about, work to do....and that right there stopped me in my tracks.

You see, I used to work an 8 to 5 job, Monday through Fridays. I hated it. Granted, it paid the bills and got us through out first year or so of marriage but what I wanted was a job with flexibility, a job where I was my own boss, a job with creativity and fun, a job that wasnt a job. I wanted to be a photographer. Those days when Andrew would call me at work saying he got home early and I'd look at the clock seeing that I still had three hours left at work, I hated those days. Or the days when Andrew had off and I didnt. Or the days when he'd bring me lunch because he was off and my lunch hour just wasnt long enough. I became a photographer for days like this...days when spontaneity was perfectly allowed and encouraged. Days when I could drop everything to build my relationship with my husband. Days when if someone needed me, I could be there at a moments notice.

About half way to our favorite sushi place, I finally pulled my thoughts away from my to-do lists. There was always tomorrow, I thought to myself. I can drink extra coffee, work twice as hard and think about everything tomorrow. Today, today I'm just going to enjoy the sunflowers on my mantle. I'm going to enjoy the spontaneity, the all you can eat sushi, the zombie duck hunt, the laughter, the love...days like this are what I'm going to remember.

Dwell in Possibility...
Cassie

2 comments:

  1. Cassie you are so precious! (Hannah's MOM)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is why I am going to start my own business!! Embrace it, girl!

    ReplyDelete