Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Our Favorite Things: Soybutter

In highschool, Megan and I used to eat trail mix on a regular basis. We would sit outside of our Algebra class, on the cold laminate flooring fists full of trailmix. Whenever we'd run out, we'd go to Foodworld, but our usual bags of pretzels, nuts, M&Ms and raisins and then proceed to make the biggest batch we could. It was a running joke that whenever I ate peanuts my ears would get itchy. Not an irritating itch, but like that itch you get when your ears wont pop...just more, well, itchy. My parents would laugh and Megan would roll her eyes and we'd continue to eat the mixed goodness.

I'm allergic to nuts. It wasnt until a drive home from work one day that I realized this. Before I'd gotten in the car to drive home, I'd eaten one chocolate covered cashew. Just one. As I drove home, signing and belting out whatever happened to be on the radio, I realized something: I was biting my tongue...a lot. A call to my mother and a doctors appointment later, I was in fact allergic to pretty much any nut known to man. And coconut...because apparently, despite it's fruit-like existence, it's a nut. Usually this allergy isnt half bad. I'm not so allergic that cross contamination bothers me, and I'm not sure if Andrew will kill me if he eats a nut then kisses me {we dont test this theory} but if you look at it from the standpoint of how it saves you from many much poundage of deserts that you can no longer eat, it's great.

So, how is this related to this weeks post of Our Favorite Things. Well, there are a few things I miss. I miss Snickers, and Reese's Cups and Puppy Chow. {Enter heavenly angel's awe here} Then I found Soybutter! So, while I still cant eat a Snickers or a Reese's Cup, I can make Puppy Chow. And, I can eat a PB&J sandwich...just, it's called a SB&J in our house. So here's to nut allergies and the existence of soy!

Photobucket

Dwell in Possibility...
Cassie

1 comment:

  1. I bet you could make soy butter cups!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete