Friday, August 6, 2010

Lizard-napping

I had two incredible friends growing up. They were creative, loving, unique, and we were inseparable growing up. We were the three amigos: myself, Zarah Bear, and Amanda Panda. That's what my dad called us as we would tromp around from house to house doing who knows what...and I, I was the ring leader. I was one of those bossy little kids when it came to my friends. I took charge and not only would I instruct that we were playing pretend, but that I was the main character and they were the sidekick or the prince. Yes, Zarah, I realize that I owe you hundreds and hundreds of apologies for always having to play the prince. Hundreds and thousands of apologies!

As we grew up, we saw each other less and less. We moved first, then Amanda's family, then Zarah's. Years later we all ended up along the Florida Panhandle area: Georgia for Amanda, Alabama for Zarah, and Florida for me. We all would treck to Alabama every Thanksgiving after that and spend the week together and those are some of my most amazing memories of my childhood. During that time, one unfortunate Thanksgiving...it happened. I dont know who started it...I dont know who's idea it was or which parental unit decided that it was a good idea to support, but someone started it.

I had a beanbag platypus that I took everywhere...I still have him, stored away in my hope chest. Zarah had a beanbag lizard which she kept in much better condition than my poor worn out little blue platypus. The short story? She stole my platypus and held it hostage. I stole her lizard and held it hostage. To this day, I dont remember who stole whose first, but the ransom notes began.

Zarah sent my traditional birthday gift, late...as is our tradition. Every year my birthday gift comes at least two weeks late and hers, well hers usually comes about a month late. I dont know if she intended to include those old ransom notes and Polaroids in the box with my gift, but I sat there and read them all, laughing at how horribly my spelling was and how lame my attempts at witty random notes are. So thank you, my dearest Zarah. Intentional or not, thank you for the trip down memory lane...and seriously, SO so sorry about the whole prince thing.

Photobucket

Dwell in Possibility...
Cassie

3 comments:

  1. Who is the third friend? Maybe it should say I had 2 friends growing up? MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! So, yes, I meant to include the notes; however, I forgot to include the noted saying that I wanted them back! ;) I was going through old boxes the other day and found them...thought you would get a kick out of it...turns out, I was right! ;) As to who kidnapped whom first...I believe you left your platypus one time & we decided to hold her hostage...because that was so much more fun than mailing her back! And you are forgiven...;) Love ya! Z
    P.S. I think the notes you wrote were cuter!

    ReplyDelete