Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Monopoly

Growing up, I loved game night. sure, my brother and I sometimes made a big deal about it being on the worst possible night of our lives. or how we didnt want to play game X because we played game X last time. I'm pretty sure my brother and I argued more than we showed any real enjoyment, probably causing our parents to think that game night was quite possibly one of the worst nights ever invented. Which, looking back, may have been why all of a sudden game night disappeared. But growing up, I really did love game night. Specifically, I loved Monopoly...just not with my brother cause he cheated. Suddenly he'd end up with an extra stack of whatever money in the bankers box was closest to him...or he'd bump the board to mess up the pieces and then "put them back right where they were" when I very clearly remembered him not having a hotel on Virgina Avenue. Yes, we were those children.

But now, now I live with a husband who hates board games. Okay, so maybe he'll play them if enough people are over and they all want to play, but he hates them. "Board games are boring, hence the name" he always says. On the once in a blue moon chance that I can get him to play a board game, monopoly is never an option. Like, might risk our marriage never an option.

But I love Monopoly. Shocker of all shockers: I have the Wizard of Oz edition of Monopoly. Which side note, I've played once because apparently everyone hates Monopoly...sad, wrong, confused people! I would play with two of my friends for hours...we'd make salsa and go downstairs with the whole bowl, a bag of chips, a few sodas, eat candy and laugh and talk about anything and everything.

Today I want to play Monopoly. Today I will not be playing Monopoly. Maybe someday I can convince the world again that Monopoly is cool, that it's the best game ever...and maybe one day my husband will realize that board games are not boring!

1 comment:

  1. haha! Well, you should borrow Ray sometime...he LOVES Monopoly :) I love most board games, but Monopoly just never interested me.

    ReplyDelete